Chopped Salad – Sandwich-lover Stamp of Approval
Alternate title I was thinking of: “get your ass off of the computer, and go make this chopped salad now”.
Let me tell you a little story about my husband Troy. The man LOVES sandwiches. As in, before we got married, he would have a breakfast sandwich, a sandwich for lunch, and maybe go crazy and have a sandwich with dinner. I’ve seen him put spaghetti, lasagna, and Shepard’s pie between two pieces of bread, because hey, that counts as a sandwich, right?
I tell you that because I need you to know that once when I made a dynamite panini (grilled chicken, pesto, homemade bread, bacon, and mozzarella) for dinner and put it on a plate along with this salad, he ate the chopped salad first.
Screw James Beard awards. If Troy will eat a chopped salad BEFORE a sandwich, I know this is a winner.
Let’s talk about bacon for a second, ok? When I buy it, which is often, I cook it all up at once. Then, I let it cool and freeze it. The good news is, I always have bacon ready to eat. The bad news is, I always have bacon ready to eat. Bacon is the candy bar of meat.
Making this recipe or others?
Hearty chopped salad with so much flavor that my sandwich loving husband will eat this first at meals. A powerhouse serving of veggies and a touch of bacon.
- 1 small head of green cabbage
- 1 small head of purple cabbage
- 3 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 5-6 giant kale leaves
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 5 strips of bacon cooked and cooled
- Dressing of your choice I recommend something poppyseed based
- Just go ahead and wash all your produce, so that I don't have to say it every step of the way.
- Halve, and then chunk your cabbage. In a few batches, place in a food processor, and pulse 5-6 times until pieces are uniform(ish). Place into the biggest mixing bowl you have.
Lay your kale on a cutting board, and remove the ribs by slicing each side. Loosely chop, and place into your big ol' mixing bowl.
- Peel, and chop your carrots, and dump in the bowl. See how easy this is? We're having fun now!
- Chop the cooked bacon. You know what to do now right? Throw it in the bowl!
- Celery? Chop it and put that stuff in the bowl too. It's getting kind of crowded in there, right? Right!
- Add the sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Mix!
This makes up a huge amount of salad, which is awesome from a meal prep standpoint. Store it in a large container without the dressing in the fridge until ready to use/eat/devour/enjoy. For our portion, I scooped a bunch out into a smaller mixing bowl, and added the dressing and tossed to distribute it. The recipe makes so much, that you can easily eat this chopped salad for four plus meals. I love love love recipes that I can make once, and eat off of for multiple meals. It is the lazy healthy eater in me.
I wonder if given the chance if Troy would put this on a sandwich too…?