Homemade Grilled Chicken Gyros
Homemade Grilled Chicken Gyros are a delicious and healthy dinner that comes together quickly. Fluffy pita bread, chicken, yogurt sauce, and feta are a match made in heaven.
So, these Homemade Grilled Chicken Gyros are most definitely not authentic.
But they are yummy.
So, I’ll keep making them until someone in the house tells me not to.
And then still probably after that.
Seasoning the Homemade Grilled Chicken Gyros is made easier because I use McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. The steak seasoning has been a favorite of ours for almost seven years now. My friend Elaina turned me onto it, and I have subsequently hooked my mother-in-law. We use it for meat and grilled veggies. And pretty much everything. It’s so, so good. We buy it at Costco, I’ve seen it at most grocery stores, and as always, Amazon carries it.
While the chicken is absolutely delicious, the toppings and pita bread really shine in these Homemade Grilled Chicken Gyros. Crumbly, salty feta, Homemade Hummus, and a flavorful yogurt take these gyros to the next level. I have made homemade pita before but in a pinch, we love the Papa Pita rounds you can find at Costco in the fresh bread aisle.
Homemade Grilled Chicken Gyros are one of my favorite ways to use up leftover grilled chicken. Using previously grilled chicken from another meal means this comes together even more quickly. Want to make it even faster? Use shredded rotisserie chicken. The possibilities are endless!
Ok, not endless, but you have enough to at least count it off on your fingers.
Making this recipe or others?
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 6 oz Greek or plain yogurt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried chives
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- Grilled onions
- At least 6 hours before serving this dish mix the ingredients for the yogurt dip, and store in the fridge.
- One hour prior to the meal, slice the chicken breast into 1 inch wide strips and place in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and mix in steak seasoning. Toss to coat, and place in the fridge.
- Grill the chicken until cook through, and set on a plate for 5 minutes to rest. Slice in to bite size pieces.
- To assemble gyros: microwave 1-3 pitas wrapped in a damp towel for 20 seconds. place pita flat on a plate, add chicken, hummus (optional), feta, and yogurt dip.
Yogurt will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
To make this lower carb, serve the chicken, feta, and yogurt dip over mixed greens.
To make this a super speedy weeknight, use leftover grilled chicken or even rotisserie chicken.
This post contains affiliate links and we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you if you click through and make a purchase. This allows me to continue to provide free content, and I only share products that I use and love myself. Thank you for your support!