A fast and cozy dinner, this Savory Puff Pastry Recipe is a comfort food meal at its best. Great for easy weeknight meals, parties, or appetizers, these sandwiches are delicious and simple to make ahead.
Amazing Savory Puff Pastry Recipe. This now a thing.
This all started with a desire to clean out our overburdened freezer. There was a random assortment of things I couldn’t identify, and every time I pulled the drawer open, it felt like the garbage compactor scene in Star Wars.
It was a mess.
I first saw the old box with one lonely sheet of puff pastry, shoved way in the back under all the ice packs. After digging a bit more, I came across some grilled chicken. A search of the fridge netted some mozzarella, baby kale, and pesto. The pantry unburdened itself of an onion, and a new dish in our house was born.
Here’s How to Make These Savory Puff Pastry Recipe:
Remove the puff pastry from the box and wrapper, and allow to thaw on the counter for about 25 minutes.
Fill with whatever deliciousness you want!
Like you are wrapping a present, fold the two top “flaps” over each other. Repeat with one bottom flap, and then the other. Pinch the dough together a bit to secure it.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes:
- Need to make more or less of the recipe? Click and slide the “servings” number on the recipe card and the ingredients will adjust as needed. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
- Due to the time needed for thawing the pastry (20-30 min at temperature), it would be ideal to prep this in the morning before leaving for work. Throw the pastry on the counter before you shower, then assemble everything before heading out the door. Put in an air-tight container in the fridge, and bake when you get home.
- If you bake it on my favorite compostable parchment paper, and you won’t even have dishes to wash.
The possibilities are endless and you can really put in anything you’d like.
- Vegetarian – lots of delicious veggies, marinara, and cheese.
- Vegan – lots of delicious veggies, and smoky tempeh or crispy tofu.
- Mediterranean – hummus, grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, feta, and spinach.
- Pizza – marinara, pepperoni, sausage, and mozzeralla.
More Easy Weeknight Meals Like This:
- Healthy Sausage and Roasted Veggies
- One Pan Teriyaki Chicken Dinner
- Crispy Oven-Fried Gnocchi and Veggies
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Basil Thai Chicken
In just a few short weeks, this Savory Puff Pastry Recipe has quickly become a favorite go-to dinner for us. It is a speedy main dish to serve on baseball nights, and everyone in the house will happily gobble it up.
My oldest doesn’t even complain about the giant amount of baby kale inside, and between that and the pesto, it is a no-brainer for getting more greens in our diet. Plus, who doesn’t love deliciousness wrapped in flaky doughy goodness?
Freaks, that’s who.
Savory Puff Pastry Recipe | Easy Weeknight Meal
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 tbsp pesto
- 1 tbsp marinara or brushetta sauce
- 2 handfuls baby spinach or kale. Fresh
- 1/4 onion sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped cooked/grilled chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Remove the puff pastry from the box and wrapper, and allow to thaw on the counter for about 25 minutes. You want the pastry to be pliable, but not warm. Lay the pastry sheets on a large baking sheet lined with parchment.
- In a medium frying pan, melt the butter over medium low, and cook the onions down until soft; about 15-20 minutes.
- Spread the pesto in the middle of one puff pastry sheet, and the bruschetta in the middle of the other.
- Top with spinach/kale, cheese, chicken, and onions.
- Like you are wrapping a present, fold the two top "flaps" over each other. Repeat with one bottom flap, and then the other. Pinch the dough together a bit to secure it.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 23 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and flaky. We have found it is easiest to cut into portions with a pizza cutter. Serve hot with a side salad or delicious grilled veggies.
This post contains affiliate links and we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you if you click through and make a purchase. This allows me to continue to provide free content, and I only share products that I use and love myself.
Shop this Post:
(may include affiliate links)
Made a Mediterranean chicken version of this last night with a lone chicken breast and long forgotten frozen puff pastry! It was so yum! I will be trying other flavor combos for sure!
Love a good “pulled from the freezer” style meal!!
The Savory Puff Pastry Recipe is a sure win at our house!
I made this as listed and it was great! Fast, easy and delicious!
You can use up bits of cheeses and meats along with different veggies to make a different Puff Pastry every time!
We love that it’s so customizable to use what you have on hand.
Can you make ahead and freeze or refrigerate these? I feel like they would be awesome to make in a batch of 1000 and just have on hand.
You know Mollie, I’ve never tried but I think it would work ok. You would likely have to let them thaw in the fridge completely before baking though.
If you do it please let me know how it goes and I’ll update the post!
I have always dreamed of cooking something that people think is restaurant quality and this recipe is it! I made one around New Years with some leftover chicken, salsa, and fiesta blend cheese. I left half in my boyfriends fridge for him to try and he called me later asking where I got that “weird, tasty sandwich thing.” Needless to say, I was over the moon. We just made this again, this time with a steak and some pesto we had in the freezer and while it wasn’t quite as good as the one I made at New Years it was still bomb! Thanks, for giving me a recipe that makes people ask where I bought it!!
Bernie, I’m so thrilled to hear you were a total pro in the kitchen using this recipe!! Your chicken and salsa version sounds amazing!!
Finally made these! We used deli meat and made them like calzones and it was yummy!
So glad you all liked them, Tina! Though it couldn’t be all of you, right? Isn’t one of you GF?
Both Emma and I are, but I used GF puff pastry 🙂
light and delish! Perfect for a summer dinner (or winter really… lets face it I’m not picky!).
Oh my gosh this looks so freakin good! I am trying to avoid breads right now 🙁 but I am definitely going to make this sometime in the future!!
Keep it on your radar when you’re back on the carbs. 🙂
Great idea for a quick meal after thawing time. I don’t have any puff pastry but I might try something like this with home made pizza dough.
With pizza dough, you’d be making a fancy calzone. Go for it!