The state of the state of this blog (reader feedback follow up)
First off, a giant thank you to everyone who commented or emailed on my reader feedback post. I read all the comments and emails, and enjoyed the suggestions, feedback, and I laughed a bunch too. Here is a wrap up of what I “heard”:
1) Not to be all Sally Field, but you like me, you really like me! I felt lots of love and validation while reading your comments and emails. I wasn’t looking for it or hinting for it, but hey, I told you to be honest and I’ll take that kind of honesty! 🙂
2) Most people don’t want videos, and thank you god because I didn’t want to make them. Things work out I guess, huh? I will be doing a video tour probably next week of how the house is now right now with the remodel because photos don’t always show everything, but it will be a short video.
3) Speaking of the remodel, many of you are anxious to hear about how our lives change when my parents move in. Guess what? We’re anxious to know too! I’m going to be sharing some aspects of it once we get settled, but need to balance it with my parents right to privacy (even though I’ve told you all that they’re hoarders). We’ll see how it goes.
4) Many things are not broken about the site/posts in your eyes and you don’t want to see them fixed/go away. You want to keep monthly confessions (no worries there because I love writing them and reading yours), you like my rambling posts, meal plan posts are helpful, and whatever I happen to write should still be in my “keeping in real” style. Homemade Mondays may not be necessary (i.e., not an absolute favorite), but I’ll be honest in that I am keeping them. They’re my second highest rated posts of the week, and it’s nice to know that one post each week is pretty much “taken care of”.
5) Cursing doesn’t seem to be a barrier to most of you. Some of you “gloss over” it while reading, but it doesn’t keep you from reading. One reader had a question about what I’ll tell Jack when he is old enough to read my blog and sees my cursing. Well, he can read fluently now (he flawlessly read “subsequently” the other night in a book), so I’m very careful about closing down my laptop when he is awake.
Considering I have banned the words “turd, butt, and fart” in our house, he’ll be in for a bit of a shock when he realizes some of the words I use. I plan to explain to him that there are certain choices such as grown up words that you get to chose to use if you want when you’re an adult. Until you’re an adult, you need to use the words that are allowed in the house.
6) You seem excited about my plans for a few posts on keeping organized (booting clutter) and getting out of the house in the morning with ease.
7) Someone suggested a monthly “what are we reading” post where I share and you share what you are enjoying in the literary arts. LOVE IT. This is happening.
8) Structural changes: comment bottom at the bottom of the post. You’re not the first to want this, and if I can ever figure out how to make that work, I’m on it. It think it’s part of my overall template, but I totally agree with you and would love it on the bottom (that’s what she said).
Also, a desire for the first post of the page to be higher (above the fold). Done. Moved the subscribe option to the sidebar, and removed the ad. I really want to avoid the pop up “subscribe” window because those piss me off while I’m reading blogs, so hopefully the subscribe option is still somewhat visible.
9) More in-depth gardening and canning posts. I’ll do my best! I pretty much can the same few things every year, so I’m not sure where I can expand on that topic, but I’ll try!
10) Sponsored posts: you don’t want them. Which is totally fine with me, because I turn those down on the weekly. They don’t mesh with the vibe I try to lay down around here. That being said, if the right “just perfect” opportunity comes my way, I’m going to be open to it. It has to be something I would be willing to buy myself, and I’ll always tell you when I was compensated for the write up, because I want to retain your trust and not whore myself out.
Work it. own it.
11) Kitchen, fridge, and pantry tour. ON IT!
12) More in-depth sewing tutorials. I’m interested in this, but need to tread lightly since some of the things I sew (the quilts especially) are not of my design, so I don’t have permission to basically give away the directions that the author deserves to be compensated for.
13) More posts about the chickens…but not too much more because not everyone finds them too interesting.
14) More about how I fit stuff in to my daily life. Roger that…been working on a post on this topic for awhile now. I hope it answers your questions!
15) What are my weaknesses? My addictions? How do I do loads of stuff without the bitterness and resentment? The post I am working on (see above #14) should address these questions. But here is a sneak preview: I do have bouts of bitterness and resentment and have previously chucked a laundry basket at a certain someone’s head (name rhymes with Roy) yelling “I’m not a fucking 1950’s housewife”. It’s a highly effective method of conflict resolution.
16) I have to say this suggestion sent via email was my favorite. It was how I could improve the “About Me” section. Meg wordsmithed it for me and came up with this:
Hey bitches, I AM the new urban farmer movement. Read my blog – or not – but if you want to know ANYTHING then you’ll probably want to read every post religiously. Oh yeah, and I’m cool because I live in Seattle.
I think it’s a winner!
So, I’ve heard you, I appreciate it, and it’s all in the works as I start phase one of my master plan. FYI, phase five (the final phase) involves me taking over the world with homemade cleaning products and getting everyone to ditch wrapping paper. And making fart jokes on NPR. Now that Carl Kasell has retired, I heard there is a job opening for writing naughty limericks on Wait Wait…Don’t Tell me. A girl can dream, right?
I’m going to buckle down and start working on “da plan” soon, and fingers crossed I can share some updates with you in early spring.
Thank you again for taking the time to give me such great feedback, and for being the best damn readers out there!