Homemade Donuts – Easy and Delicious Apple Cider Donuts
Homemade donuts – delicious apple cider donuts. Learn how to make easy homemade donuts; no yeast dough, no frying. Just delicious apple and cinnamon donuts.
I have a friend. Let’s call her Anne. Anne is one of Jack’s godmothers, and one of the best people you don’t know. She lives in Denver. Too far from Washington. She is also a tricky little vixen and loves to send random presents that she thinks will make you smile. One day, years ago, a donut pan appeared on my front porch. Well, I mean it was in an Amazon box. UPS didn’t just drop a donut pan on my welcome mat, knock the door, and then peace out. Gross.
I searched for the perfect recipe to use for the maiden voyage of the donut pan. There are a lot of recipes out there for opening a can of ready-made biscuits, punching a hole in the middle, and calling it a donut. You do you, but when I want homemade donuts, I want those suckers to start from scratch.
The recipe I finally found is from Tasty Kitchen, but adapted to my preferences/tastes. Please don’t fool yourself into thinking that these taste like the fried donuts you find at a bakery – they’re not. But they are amazing and perfect.
They’re delicious cake donuts that will put a smile on your face, make you feel like fall, and pair well with homemade apple cider. From what I understand, they taste best in cozy pants and a fleece. I’m not sure. I’m not a doctor.
Making this recipe or others?
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup flour I used King Arthur bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar try homemade
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla try homemade
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Brush the donut pan with melted butter and sprinkle a little of sugar (evaporated cane juice) over the butter.
- In a bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, mix together brown sugar, applesauce, maple syrup, apple cider, yogurt, egg, and coconut oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter into the donut pan, filling the cavities only halfway. Bake for 13 minutes.
- While the donuts are in the oven, mix 1/3 cup sugar and the 2 tsp cinnamon in a ziploc bag. Shake a few times to combine.
- When the donuts come out of the oven, brush both sides with melted butter. Put 2 donuts at a time in the Ziploc, seal, and shake. Should there actually be any leftover, store in an air-tight container
Homemade vanilla extract is easy to make and makes homemade goodies taste next-level amazing.
Homemade brown sugar only takes five minutes and two ingredients.
This post contains affiliate links and we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you if you click through and make a purchase. This allows me to continue to provide free content, and I only share products that I use and love myself.