Garlic Butter Rice is a fast weeknight side dish that the whole family will love! Made in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop, this garlic rice is great for meal prep.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rice is one of those sides that goes with almost everything. It’s affordable, filling, and beloved by even the pickiest of family members. It’s like the rice version of Cheesy Garlic Bread.
But you don’t need to turn to those heat and serve packets from the grocery store to make delicious flavored rice. I got you boo.
In a perfect world, I would serve a side of this garlic rice with Air Fryer French Onion Pork Chops, Paleo Roast Chicken, Air Fryer Steak Bites, Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy, Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli, or Roasted Frozen Broccoli.
And for my vegetarian friends, try it over this Tempeh Bolognese from Hey Nutrition Lady.
Garlic Butter Rice Variations
The garlic in this rice is pretty apparent, so if you need something more subtle, either dial back the garlic or use roasted garlic. I always have some Instant Pot Roasted Garlic or Air Fryer Roasted Garlic hanging around my freezer.
For even creamier garlic rice, add milk or cream to the finished rice 1 tbsp at a time, stirring with each addition, until it has reached your desired consistency.
Making this after the holidays? Use Turkey Bone Broth instead of chicken.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- Want a vegetarian version? Sub in your favorite veggie broth.
- Like your rice more cheesy? Top the finished rice with additional parmesan.
- If you need to make this on the stovetop, combine all ingredients except Parmesan in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to low, and cook for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- I do not rinse my rice beforehand
because I’m lazy, but if you choose to rinse, the cooking time and measurements remain the same.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Want more fast pressure cooker sides? You’ll love these Easy Instant Pot Side Dishes.
- Instant Pot Coconut Rice
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- How to Roast Frozen Vegetables
- Jasmine Rice in Instant Pot
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Instant Pot Sushi Rice
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes)
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- Fried Cabbage With Bacon
- Instant Pot Brown Jasmine Rice
Garlic Butter Rice
- Set Instant Pot to "saute" to melt the butter (it will take about 1-2 minutes). Once melted, turn the Instant Pot to "off/keep warm".3 tbsp butter
- Add the rice, broth, garlic, and dried parsley. Stir.1 1/3 cup rice, 2 cups broth, 3 cloves garlic, 3/4 tsp parsley
- Lock the lid into place and set the steam release handle (valve on top) to “Sealing”. Press Manual>High Pressure>6 minutes. It will take 2-4 minutes to get up to pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, flip the vent to venting and perform a quick release.
- Carefully open the lid and add the parmesan and stir.2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Use 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley in place of dried
Use 1.5 tsp garlic powder in place of fresh
- If you use instant rice, reduce cooking time to 4 minutes in the Instant Pot.
- I used long-grain Jasmine rice in this recipe.
- If you prefer brown rice, increase the Instant Pot cooking time to 22 minutes and allow for a 10-minute natural release. I would also recommend increasing the broth by 1/4 cup.
Shop this Post:
(may include affiliate links)
I am making this recipe tonight, but I just have to tell you how much I love your directions! I’m a very detailed person and your directions are just that!
I love how you put the amount of each item needed within each step. (it helped eliminate the need to go back-and-forth from the directions to the ingredient list! So helpful!) Also, the exact directions you give for the pressure cooker is so greatly appreciated. I often find myself guessing on what was intended and did not have that at all with your directions! I’m excited to make the recipe! Thank you again for the thoroughness!
Jen, it’s my pleasure! I love doing those little things to make life easier for my readers. I hope you love the rice. Please come back and let me know how it went for you. 🙂
This is the best recipe on the web I’ve ever seen, and I haven’t even made it yet. Thank you for posting the measurements under each step so I don’t accidentally click 20 ads each time I have to scroll back and forth. Trying this today, by the way!
Awww, Laura, I’m honored you’re such a fan of it! 🙂
The measurements are a great little thing that we have slowly been implementing through all our existing recipes. I’m thrilled it is so helpful for my readers.
Thank you for this quick & easy way to step up the taste of common white rice!
So glad you enjoyed, it Sharyn!
If making this on the stovetop, when do you add the parmesan cheese? After cooking for 15 minutes right before serving?
Great question! Right before serving.
I have made this numerous times-my husband says “this is very tasty!”.
So glad you both enjoy it, Lea!
Can I use basmati rice in this recipe?
So easy in the instant pot and yummy. Is it easy to double?
Yes! As long as you have an Instant Pot larger than a 3 quart, you can easily double it. It will take a bit longer to come up to pressure and depressurize.
This is now a household staple and favorite for the entire family
Would this work in a 6 cup rice cooker and if so, are the directions any different?
I have never tried it in a rice cooker and haven’t used one in 5 years. My best guess is yes, it could work in a rice cooker…but it’s only a guess.
You’d want to melt the butter in the microwave before adding it and the other ingredients to the rice cooker. The garlic wouldn’t be able to cook down ahead of time unless you did it in butter on the stovetop. But it should soften up enough in the rice cooker.
This was so delicious! Made it according to the recipe and the rice was perfect and fluffy and sooooo tasty! It’s the fluffiest rice I’ve gotten out of my instant pot. Ate it with grilled shrimp and asparagus!
I’m so glad you liked it, Stephanie. It’s a favorite in our house and I love sharing it with others.