Garlic Butter Rice is a fast weeknight side dish that the whole family will love! Made in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop, this garlic rice is great for meal prep.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rice is one of those sides that goes with almost everything. It’s affordable, filling, and beloved by even the pickiest of family members. It’s like the rice version of Cheesy Garlic Bread.
But you don’t need to turn to those heat and serve packets from the grocery store to make delicious flavored rice. I got you boo.
In a perfect world, I would serve a side of this garlic rice with Air Fryer French Onion Pork Chops, Paleo Roast Chicken, Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts, Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy, Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli, or Roasted Frozen Broccoli. And for my vegetarian friends, try it over this Tempeh Bolognese from Hey Nutrition Lady.
Garlic Butter Rice Variations
The garlic in this rice is pretty apparent, so if you need something more subtle, either dial back the garlic or use roasted garlic. I always have some Instant Pot Roasted Garlic or Air Fryer Roasted Garlic hanging around my freezer.
For even creamier garlic rice, add milk or cream to the finished rice 1 tbsp at a time, stirring with each addition, until it has reached your desired consistency.
Making this after the holidays? Use Turkey Bone Broth instead of chicken.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- Want a vegetarian version? Sub in your favorite veggie broth.
- Like your rice more cheesy? Top the finished rice with additional parmesan.
- If you need to make this on the stovetop, combine all ingredients except Parmesan in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to low, and cook for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- I do not rinse my rice beforehand
because I’m lazy, but if you choose to rinse, the cooking time and measurements remain the same.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Want more fast pressure cooker sides? You’ll love these Easy Instant Pot Side Dishes.
- Instant Pot Coconut Rice
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- How to Roast Frozen Vegetables
- Instant Pot Jasmine Rice
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Instant Pot Sushi Rice
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes)
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- Fried Cabbage With Bacon
- Instant Pot Brown Jasmine Rice
Garlic Butter Rice
- Set Instant Pot to "saute" to melt the butter (it will take about 1-2 minutes). Once melted, turn the Instant Pot to "off/keep warm".3 tbsp butter
- Add the rice, broth, garlic, and dried parsley. Stir.1 1/3 cup rice, 2 cups broth, 3 cloves garlic, 3/4 tsp parsley
- Lock the lid into place and set the steam release handle (valve on top) to “Sealing”. Press Manual>High Pressure>6 minutes. It will take 2-4 minutes to get up to pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, flip the vent to venting and perform a quick release.
- Carefully open the lid and add the parmesan and stir.2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Use 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley in place of dried
Use 1.5 tsp garlic powder in place of fresh
- If you use instant rice, reduce cooking time to 4 minutes in the Instant Pot.
- I used long-grain Jasmine rice in this recipe.
- If you prefer brown rice, increase the Instant Pot cooking time to 22 minutes and allow for a 10-minute natural release. I would also recommend increasing the broth by 1/4 cup.