Delicious and filling, you’ll love this 100% Whole Wheat Pizza Dough! Easily made in a stand mixer, food processor, or by hand, this homemade vegan pizza dough is fool-proof and sure to become a family favorite.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Making your own 100% whole wheat pizza dough is so much easier than you could ever believe. Whole grain pizza crust is one of the simplest things you can make yourself. It’s delicious and the perfect dough – crusty on the bottom and soft on top.
If you have been scared of yeasted dough in the past, have no fear! I believe in you and you’re going to totally ace this!
Freezing Pizza Dough
This recipe makes enough dough for two 12-inch (medium) pizzas. If you only want to make one, you can freeze the extras for later. Wrap the ball in parchment paper and then transfer to a freezer bag (I use these reusable silicone bags).
To use: all the dough to fully defrost, making sure it sits at room temperature for a t least an hour.
Even better, if you have an extra pizza pan, you can fully make another pizza and then freeze it unbaked. I allow it to freeze completely and then wrap in foil. Store for up to three months.
You can also refrigerate unbaked dough for up to three days in an air-tight container.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- Look for whole wheat pastry flour if possible. It has the softest and finest texture of any whole wheat flour.
- Need to use all-purpose flour? Measurements remain the same, but exclude the vital wheat gluten.
- No stand mixer? You can mix by hand or use the dough blade function in a food processor, pulsing until it forms a ball.
- If your kitchen is on the cool side, you can preheat your oven to 200 degrees F and then turn it off. Place the bowl in the oven for 20-30 minutes until doubled in size. You can also add a bit of olive oil to an Instant Pot and proof it with a glass lid on the yogurt setting for 10-15 minutes.
- I love the crispy crust you get from using a cast iron pizza pan. You’ll never go back to a normal pan! New to cast iron cookware? You can read all about how to use cast iron here.
More Great Bread Recipes You’ll Love
- Check out all these Pantry Staples You Can Make Yourself
- Easy Tortilla Pizzas
- Air Fryer French Bread Pizzas
- Puff Pastry Pizza Pockets
- Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Air Fryer Pretzel Bites
- Honey Wheat Sandwich Bread
- No-Knead Dutch Oven Bread
- Air Fryer Cornbread
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Homemade Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
- Homemade Pretzel Rolls
- Roasted Garlic and Asiago Cheese No-Knead Bread
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS
One serving has 4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
100% Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve the yeast in the warm water, add other ingredients, and mix for 2-5 min on low until the dough has cleaned the sides of the bowl.
- Remove the dough and drizzle a bit of olive oil around the edges of the mixing bowl, and coat all sides of the dough with the oil.
- Cover with a warm damp kitchen towel, and allow the dough to rise until doubled (time will depend on the temp of your kitchen).
To Bake the Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place a pizza stone in the oven while it heats.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on the hot pan, and spread the dough around with your hands or a rolling pin.
- Cover with your preferred toppings. Bake until the cheese is hot and bubbling (usually 15-20 minutes). Check and rotate at 10 minutes.