The perfect appetizer, Easy Jalapeño Popper Wonton bites is a delicious game day treat or a quick snack. They are a tasty blend of spicy and creamy in a fun little two-bite cup.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jalapeño poppers are one of those appetizers that are so delicious to eat but can be labor-intensive to make. That’s where these little jalapeno popper wontons come in to save the day!
Prepare to win the appetizer game at your next event. It IS a contest. Don’t let anyone tell you differently.
This recipe calls for using a regular muffin tin. That is intentional for two reasons. One, most people have regular muffin tins instead of mini muffin tins. Two, it is a giant pain in the butt to fill the mini muffin cups with the cream cheese filling.
Jalapeño Popper Bites Ingredients
This recipe is rocking:
- Jalapeños (I used fresh, but feel free to use the canned kind)
- Wonton wrappers (you’ll usually find them in the produce section at the grocery store)
- Cream cheese AND plain Greek yogurt (try Easy Instant Pot Yogurt)
- Green onions
- Garlic or garlic powder
- Bacon (optional – you can use Air Fryer Bacon or Bake Bacon in the oven)
- Balsamic reduction (optional but it helps cut the heat. I use Nonna Pia’s which I get at Costco)
Save leftover peppers to make this Jalapeño Simple Syrup.
Can You Make Jalapeño Popper Wontons Ahead of Time?
Yes! The wonton cups can be baked up to four days before your event, and the cream cheese and yogurt filling actually taste better if made one day prior.
I’m not sure about you, but I prefer to do all my prep work well ahead of a party. But hey, maybe you love waiting until the last minute and then dealing with stress-induced boob sweat. You do you.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- If you’re sensitive to the heat of the jalapeno, try dicing and then cooking them down a bit in a hot skillet until softened (~5 minutes).
- Need something with a bit less heat? Try using poblano pepper instead.
- To reheat, place on a baking tray in the oven until warmed (~7 minutes).
- Leave the bacon out to make these vegetarian jalapeno poppers
- Use a small spoon or piping bag to get the filling into the wonton cups.
Easy Jalapeno Popper Wontons
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a muffin tin with olive oil.
- Gently press a wonton wrapper into each muffin cup. Spritz the wontons with a bit more olive oil.
- Bake for 9 minutes or until golden brown. If making ahead of time, remove from muffin tin and place on a baking rack until fully cool. If serving immediately, allow to cool enough to handle.
- Place cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 15 seconds at a time until you can easily work with it (~30 seconds total).
- Add the rest of the ingredients through balsamic reduction, and mix thoroughly. If making ahead of time, refrigerate cream cheese mixture until ready to use.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment. Fill each wonton cup halfway with the jalapeno mixture. This is easier if the cream cheese mixture is soft.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes until the cream cheese is melted and warmed through. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction if desired. Serve immediately.