Learn all the tips and tricks for freezing hummus to reduce food waste and stock your freezer. Learning how to freeze hummus for quick snacks and fast meals is a great way to maximize leftovers.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’ve ever wondered “can you freeze hummus”, the answer is yes!
With all the delicious hummus recipes out there, it’s a shame to just enjoy it once. And I’ll show you how.
CAN You Freeze Hummus?
Yes, hummus can be frozen!
Maybe you found a fantastic sale on your favorite brand, made too much of your favorite recipe, or just can’t finish a batch before the expiration date.
Freezing hummus is a great way to cut down on food waste, and also have snacks and appetizers ready to go.
What is the Best Container to Freeze Hummus?
Hummus is best frozen in smaller quantities because it defrosts faster when you’re ready to use it.
Other ways to freeze hummus:
- In the original container it came in.
- In small canning jars (the 4 oz snack size jars are perfect for this).
- In ice cube trays or 2 tbsp size Souper Cubes.
- In plastic freezer bags or silicone freezer-safe storage bags.
You can freeze hummus in plastic containers, but the seal may not hold after a few months. If you’re freezing hummus in plastic containers, it’s a good idea to place the container inside a freezer-safe bag.
Tips for Freezing Hummus
- If possible, leave 1/2 to 1 inch of space between the top of the hummus and the lid of the container. This is called “headspace”, and it allows for expansion during the freezing process. This prevents the hummus container from bulging when fully frozen, which can impact the seal.
- You can freeze hummus for 3-4 months before the flavor and texture are impacted. Label containers or freezer bags with the date they went in the freezer.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top of the hummus prior to freezing. Similar to the process of freezing basil, a layer of olive oil can keep the hummus from drying out while frozen.
How to Thaw Frozen Hummus
To defrost: If you froze hummus in small quantities/containers, the thawing process will be faster.
Allow the frozen hummus to fully thaw in the fridge overnight. If the hummus doesn’t contain dairy, you can leave it at room temperature on the counter for 2 hours to speed up the defrosting process.
If you’re really pressed for time, you can place the hummus container in a bowl of cool water for 1-2 hours. Make sure that the container is fully sealed so that water can’t seep in.
Sometimes the hummus will look grainy or dry after thawing. You can always add a bit of olive oil and stir to recombine. If it still looks separated after stirring, you pulse it in a food processor with an additional drizzle of olive oil.
- If you’re freezing homemade hummus, allow it to fully cool before freezing. This will prevent condensation from forming in the freezer, which can cause the hummus to get icy.
- Hummus that contains diced veggies, such as cucumbers, will still be delicious if frozen, but the vegetables will likely not remain intact when thawed.
- The flavor of thawed hummus may be underwhelming after a few months in the freezer. A drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of garlic powder or smoked paprika, or fresh chopped parsley can perk it right back up.
How to Freeze Hummus
- Allow homemade hummus to fully cool.
- Divide hummus into individual serving portions (~1/2 to 1 cup portions) and place into freezer-proof containers.hummus
- Cover and freeze for 3-4 hours or until fully frozen.
- Store in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- If possible, leave 1/2-1 inch of space between the top of the hummus and the lid of the container. This is called “headspace”, and it allows for expansion during the freezing process.
- You can freeze hummus for 3-4 months before the flavor and texture are impacted. Label containers with the date they went in the freezer.
- (optional): drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top of the hummus prior to freezing.
- To defrost: Allow the frozen hummus to fully thaw in the fridge overnight. If the hummus doesn’t contain dairy, you can leave it at room temperature on the counter for 2 hours to speed up the defrosting process.