Frozen Berry Cake
This Incredible Frozen Berry Cake is so easy to make using pantry ingredients. A perfect make-ahead breakfast, you’ll love how this low-sugar yogurt cake comes together in just a few minutes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This frozen berry cake is the kind of dish that works well for breakfast, snacks, tea, or dessert. If a healthy breakfast cake, a blueberry breakfast casserole, and a healthy yogurt cake had a delicious baby, it would be this incredible dish.
The texture is dense, like an old-fashioned donut, and one recipe tester discovered it takes on a cheesecake-like flavor if stored in the fridge. The absolute best part of this breakfast bake is that it is better on days two and three, making it a great make-ahead breakfast.
Why You’ll Love It
- It’s seriously simple to make – just a mixing bowl and a spoon. No special equipment required.
- Frozen berries! What’s not to love? That means you can make this any time of the year. Related: How to Freeze Blueberries and How to Freeze Raspberries.
- Easy to adjust to your tastes. Like your blueberry breakfast casseroles a bit sweeter? Simply increase the sugar until it is to your taste.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- Make sure you toss the berries with the flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
- Blueberries and raspberries work best. Strawberries and blackberries are usually too large and will lead to a mushy cake.
- You can add more or less lemon zest depending on your preferences. Or leave it out altogether if lemon is not your jam.
- Get creative with yogurt flavors that you have on hand – lemon, mango, berry, etc., would add a whole new level of awesome to your healthy breakfast cake.
- No yogurt? Sour cream will work in a pinch.
- Gluten-free/dairy-free options: my friend tested this with almond milk yogurt and Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free cup for cup flour. She added 1 heaping tsp of xantham gum, tossed the berries with sugar instead of flour, and baked for 35 minutes.
More Delicious Recipes Like This
- Easy Make-Ahead Breakfast Recipes
- Strawberry Waffles
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
- Chocolate Porridge
- Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Small Batch Cinnamon Rolls
- Healthy Apple Pie Pancakes
- Gluten-Free Blackberry Crisp
Frozen Berry Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 9-inch cake pan or an 8x8 square baking dish.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add beaten eggs, vanilla, butter, lemon zest, and yogurt. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, toss 1 tsp flour with the frozen berries. Do your best to coat all the berries.
- Spoon and spread half of the batter into the baking dish and top with half of the floured berries.
- Top berries with the remaining batter (spread), and then add the rest of the berries on top of that.
- Bake, uncovered for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Top fully-cooled cake with powdered sugar if desired.