This microwave Chocolate Lava Mug Cake is rich and chocolatey without any flour. Open your pantry, grab a few ingredients and whip up this mug brownie in 5 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
WARNING: making this chocolate lava mug cake even once will lead to a microwave mug cake addiction. You cannot avoid it. It’s going to happen.
This single-serve chocolate mug souffle recipe is truly divine. It’s perfectly cooked with a molten center, and holy smokes, it’s SO EASY to make.
What Ingredients are In Microwave Lava Cake?
- 1 Egg – room temperature, please, and thank you
- Milk (see recipe notes for dairy-free options)
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Butter – just a little bit
- Vanilla extract (related: Homemade Vanilla Extract)
- Almond extract (optional)
- Maple Syrup
- Milk or dark chocolate (optional)
How to Make Gluten-Free Mug Cake
*A detailed (with measurements) and printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
You’ll want to use a mug that is 12 oz or bigger since the mug cake will rise as it is cooking (and then sink back down a bit).
(1) Melt a little butter in the mug, and swirl it around the bottom and sides.
(2-3) Add the ingredients to the mug in this order:
- Maple syrup
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
(4) Mix really well with a fork, scraping down the sides.
(5) If you are adding a square of chocolate (and you should!), drop it into the center.
Microwave for 40-60 seconds. Allow it to cool for a minute and then dig in!
Yeah, that’s it. Seriously.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! If you don’t have a microwave, you can bake this gooey chocolate mug cake in the oven. Bake at 350F degrees for 15-25 minutes.
There are so many delicious options! A tablespoon of Nutella, a dollop of peanut butter, or fruit preserves (like Low-Sugar Strawberry Jam or No-Cook Raspberry Jam) are all great options. Or some caramel; yum!
Grate in a little orange zest before cooking it in the microwave for a chocolate orange mug cake. A dash of cinnamon is also delicious.
A scoop of vanilla ice cream, sprinkles, a dollop of whipped cream, or a dusting of powdered sugar on top are all fantastic.
- Use your favorite milk for this mug brownie recipe. If you are dairy-free, any non-dairy milk will work except for full-fat coconut milk. One recipe tester used Vanilla Nutpods.
- If you don’t have a square of chocolate, you can add 1 tbsp of chocolate chips to the middle of the mixture before baking.
- If you’re making multiple gooey chocolate mug cakes, mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl with a pour spout (this is my all-time favorite kitchen bowls) and then distribute to individual containers.
- You can make your microwave souffle ahead of time, but the top will crust up a bit and the melted chocolate may harden. Instead, I recommend mixing everything up and having it ready to go in the fridge and then microwaving it at the time of serving. Since they only cook in about 1 minute, they’re so easy to make on-demand.
- Check on the lava cake after 40 seconds. You can always cook for an additional 10-20 seconds after the initial cooking time. Overcooking will lead to a dry top and the eggs may scramble a bit.
More Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
Chocolate Lava Mug Cake
- In a large mug (12 oz or larger) add the butter and microwave for 15-20 seconds.1 tsp butter
- Swirl melted butter around the bottom and sides.
- Add the ingredients in this order:-Milk-Maple syrup-Egg-Vanilla and almond extracts-Cocoa powder-Baking powder1 tbsp whole milk, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp almond extract, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp cocoa powder
- Mix ingredients really well with a fork, scraping down the sides.
- If you are adding a square of chocolate, drop it into the center now.1 square chocolate
- Place the mug on a small plate to catch any potential overflow.
- Microwave at 100 watts for 40 seconds. Check for doneness and microwave for another 15-20 seconds.
- Allow it to cool lava cake to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Nutrition values are without the optional square of chocolate.
- You’ll want a mug that is 12 oz or bigger since the mug cake will rise as it is cooking (and then sink back down a bit).
- If you don’t have a microwave, you can bake this gooey chocolate mug cake in the oven. Bake at 350F degrees for 15-25 minutes.