Make perfect restaurant-quality Instant Pot Sushi Rice for a speedy dish that the whole family will love! This homemade sushi rice is great for sushi bowls and making your own rolls at home. No pressure cooker? You’ll also find stovetop instructions in the recipe.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Perfectly cooked and seasoned sushi rice can be a challenge, but thanks to the Instant Pot, you’ll get fantastic results each time. Use this simple recipe to create your favorite bowls or homemade sushi rolls.
Rice is one of our favorite things to make in the Instant Pot. If you love rice as much as we do, check out these great Instant Pot rice recipes: Air Fryer Orange Chicken, Instant Pot Brown Jasmine Rice, Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Rice, Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice, Instant Pot White Jasmine Rice, Instant Pot Coconut Rice, and Instant Pot Basmati Rice.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- Sushi rice is a short-grain rice. If you don’t use rice labeled as “sushi rice”, the final result will very likely be mushy and/or the wrong texture for sushi.
- Don’t skip the step of rinsing the rice either in a fine-mesh strainer or a rice rinsing bowl. Sushi rice is very sticky and rinsing multiple times removes the excess starch from the dry rice.
- Look for “unseasoned rice vinegar” instead of seasoned or sushi vinegar which will have added salt or sugar.
- Do not substitute a different kind of vinegar for the unseasoned rice vinegar.
- Allow rice to fully cool before rolling any sushi.
- Carefully fold in the sushi vinegar with a wooden spoon or plastic rice paddle to avoid breaking the grains. A metal spoon can react with the vinegar and alter the taste of the finished product.
More Delicious Recipes Like This
- Air Fryer Tofu
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Gluten-Free Teriyaki Sauce
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Beef
- Cold Soba Noodle Salad
- Vegan Poke Bowls
Instant Pot Sushi Rice
- Combine vinegar, salt, and sugar in a small saucepan and heat until sugar/salt has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- In a fine mesh strainer or rice washing bowl, rinse rice multiple times until water runs clear.
- In the insert of the Instant Pot, add rice and water. Gently shake until rice is under the water.
- Lock the lid into place and set the steam release handle (valve on top) to “Sealing”.
- Press Manual>High Pressure>6 minutes. It will take ~6 minutes to get up to pressure.
- When the rice has finished cooking, the Instant Pot will beep and switch to ”keep warm". Press the keep warm/off button until the Instant Pot turns off.
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes and then flip the switch to "venting" to remove any remaining pressure. Carefully open the lid.
- Using a rice paddle or wooden spoon, carefully remove the rice by "cutting" into it at a 45 degree angle, and place rice in a large shallow glass or wooden dish.
- Slowly drizzle the vinegar mixture over the rice, and gently toss the rice in the dish to coat the grains.
- Allow to cool to room temperature. Pro tip: you can use a small fan to cool the sushi rice more quickly.