Creamy Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
A big bowl of Creamy Instant Pot Tortellini Soup is a simple, delicious, and affordable “whole meal” kind of dish. This cozy soup has an amazing and flavorful creamy broth paired with delicious cheese tortellini. You’ll find both Instant Pot and stovetop instructions in the post.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re looking for a quick weeknight soup that is positively packed with flavor, you’re going to LOVE this tortellini soup in the Instant Pot. This simple recipe combines affordable ingredients for an incredible dinner in just 30 minutes.
The best-kept secret of this soup is that it is BETTER the next day. So write this at the top of your meal prep list and get ready to crush dinner. If you are new to pressure cooking and the Instant Pot, check out this post on recipes for Instant Pot beginners.
- You can sub in 1 15oz can of drained diced tomatoes or even homemade canned stewed tomatoes. I used tomato paste in this recipe because I was sick of fighting my picky children over the diced tomatoes I tried during multiple recipe tests.
- Want to make this vegetarian? Sub in your favorite plant-based protein and use veggie broth. You’ll also love our vegetarian Creamy White Bean Soup.
- Feel free to sub in chopped kale or escarole instead of the spinach.
- You can pump up the flavor by adding a few tablespoons of homemade tomato powder.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- If you anticipate having leftovers, try adding the spinach to each individual bowl and ladling the hot soup over it. This will prevent the spinach from wilting too much when you reheat portions the next day.
- We have tested this recipe with both fresh/refrigerated and frozen tortellini. You do not need to adjust the cooking time for different types. If using frozen, just a head’s up that the final texture will be a bit softer.
- Want to make your meal prep faster? Use frozen swiss chard, frozen spinach, frozen onions, and frozen garlic for a dinner that requires zero chopping.
- Get a great deal on tortellini? Buy extra packages and make this Instant Pot Tortellini with marinara another night.
More Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
- Copy Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot Asparagus Risotto
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- Paleo Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Instant Pot Tortilla Soup With Rice
- Whole30 Beef Stew
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Noodle Soup
- Check out all my Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Creamy Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
- Press saute on the Instant Pot.
- When it is hot, cook sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add onions and garlic when sausage is almost cooked through. Stir until onions start softening (~2 minutes).
- Add chicken stock to deglaze the Instant Pot insert.
- Add tomato paste, tortellini, basil, oregano, and parsley. Stir.
- Lock the lid into place and set the steam release handle (valve on top) to “Sealing”. Press Manual>High Pressure>4 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot has finished cooking, it will beep and switch to ”keep warm". Allow it to sit with the lid on for 5 minutes and then do a manual release with the nozzle set to venting.
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch and a bit of the broth to create a slurry.
- Press saute and add the cornstarch slurry. Stir until thickened (~3 minutes).
- Add cream and then spinach. Stir, sat & pepper to taste, and serve.
- Cook sausage in a heavy-bottomed saucepan (like a dutch oven).
- Saute onion and garlic until softened.
- Add chicken stock, tomato paste, tortellini, basil, oregano, and parsley. Stir.
- Cover, and cook on medium heat until tortellini begins to float to the top of the liquid and veggies are cooked through (~10 minutes).
- Mix cornstarch and a bit of the broth to create a slurry. Add slurry to the saucepan and cook until thickened (~3-5 minutes).
- Add cream and then spinach. Stir, salt & pepper to taste, and serve.