Easy Spicy Coleslaw Without Mayo
A simple recipe for Easy Spicy Coleslaw Without Mayo that not only tastes delicious but is healthy too. The zesty homemade dressing has no mayo and uses creamy Greek yogurt.
If you’re here looking for a KFC or Chick-fil-A copycat easy coleslaw recipe, you’ve come to the wrong place. Sugary cabbage is not my idea of a good time and all that mayo? That’s a hard pass from me.
Also? I’ve never been to a Chick-fil-A.
What you’re getting with this spicy coleslaw without mayo is a fresh tasting slaw with some kick! It’s light and savory and won’t make you feel loaded down after eating it.
And bring the heat to your appetizers with this Buffalo Hummus.
What Kind of Cabbage Should I Use?
I love the bags of shredded cabbage and carrots that you can find at the grocery store. I use it for this easy spicy coleslaw, but also to add to normal leaf lettuce salads, for tacos, homemade egg rolls, etc.
Prepackaged broccoli slaw mix also makes amazing easy coleslaw! Just look and see what is in the produce section of your grocery store and see what best fits your needs.
For this recipe I used half (each) of two small heads of cabbage I got at our farmer’s market. You could use Savoy cabbage, Napa, red (which let’s be clear is actually purple), or Chinese cabbage. It all works!
Can I Make Easy Coleslaw Ahead of Time?
Yes and you should! Letting the flavors meld over a few hours really brings the dish together. It can be served right after mixing but is even better if given a few hours in the fridge.
Is This Whole30 Compliant?
As written, no. But(!) if you sub in a compliant mayo (try homemade Whole30 mayo) for the Greek yogurt you are cleared for take off.
Here’s How to Make It:
If using whole cabbage, remove outer leaves and cut into thin wedges. Cut out the core. Chop or shred finely with a sharp knife. Or if you have a food processor, use the shredder disc.
Place cabbage wedge in the chute and press down using the plastic pusher thingy. Repeat until all cabbage and carrot is shredded. Pro tip: If I am using both green and purple cabbage, I do all the green cabbage first, empty the bowl, then do the carrot, empty, then the purple cabbage. If you do the purple cabbage first all the colors will bleed together.
Toss to combine all the veg.
Combine the Greek yogurt, rice vinegar, salt, pepper, horseradish, and celery seed, mix thoroughly. It will be thick.
Add to the cabbage mixture and stir to distribute. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes:
- Try making your own Cold Start Instant Pot Yogurt.
- The sauce for this Spicy Coleslaw is quite thick but will thin out as the cabbage releases juices after a few hours in the fridge. If you want the sauce a bit more “liquidy”, add another tbsp of rice vinegar.
- Adjust the horseradish to your taste or leave out entirely.
- If you want a sweeter slaw, start with 1 tsp of sugar, taste, and adjust.
- Feel free to use apple cider vinegar if you don’t have rice vinegar on hand.
Other Recipes Like This
- Instant Pot Potato Salad Without Mayo
- Nana’s Onion and Cucumber Salad
- Make Ahead Smoky Pea Salad With Greek Yogurt
- Fried Cabbage and Bacon
- Encurtido – Honduran Pickled Vegetables
Easy Spicy Coleslaw Without Mayo WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS
One serving of Easy Spicy Coleslaw Without Mayo has 0 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Easy Spicy Coleslaw Recipe
- If using whole cabbage, remove outer leaves and cut into thin wedges. Cut out the core. Chop or shred finely with a sharp knife or shred with a box grater. Toss to combine all the veg.
*See post for detailed instructions on using a food processor to shred the cabbage and carrot.
- Combine the Greek yogurt, rice vinegar, salt, pepper, horseradish, and celery seed, mix thoroughly. It will be thick.
- Add to the cabbage mixture and stir to distribute. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe was originally published in April 2014. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. New photos have been added and the recipe has been made printable. For reference, this is one of the photos from the original post: