Crispy and easy Air Fryer Tofu is a speedy weeknight dinner. Packed with flavor this crispy air fried tofu is the most delicious vegan or vegetarian recipe you can make in under 25 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
For many people, tofu is a non-starter. I get it. Everyone has different tastes and some just haven’t tried tofu in the right way. Yet.
Because this is the recipe that has converted many tofu haters.
Don’t let the “air fryer” part of the recipe title scare you away. You can totally make it old school – in a skillet or in the oven. You’ll get a similar crunch, but it will take more work and definitely more oil.
Need something delicious to serve with this air fryer tofu recipe? How about whipping up a batch of Instant Pot Basmati Rice, Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice, Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli, Instant Pot Brown Jasmine Rice, Garlic Butter Rice, Instant Pot Jasmine Rice, or Air Fryer Egg Rolls?
You’ll find a detailed list with measurements in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but let’s walk through what you need for this recipe:
- Tofu (yep! Shocked?) – I prefer firm or extra firm for this recipe
- Oil – olive, avocado, or use your favorite
- Cornstarch – to give your tofu some awesome crunch
- Flavor squad – toasted sesame oil and soy sauce to get this party started
How to Make Air Fryer Tofu
You’ll start by pressing the tofu if necessary (more on this in a second). Next up, cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces. I aim for ~1-inch cubes.
Next up, add the soy sauce, sesame oil, and olive oil and gently stir it to distribute.
Brush some olive oil over your air fryer basket, and add the tofu cubes in a single layer. Cook it at 390F for 9 minutes, then after shaking the basket, continue to cook, checking on the tofu every 5-7 minutes.
The cooking time will vary because everyone prefers their tofu at a different level of crispiness. Take it out of the air fryer when it looks perfect to you.
How to Press Tofu
Drain the water from the tofu, and cut each of the tofu bricks into even slices.
Place the slices on a clean towel. Top with another towel and place another towel over that and place something heavy (I use my dutch oven) on the top. Press the tofu for ~30 minutes.
How Long Does it Take to Air Fry Tofu?
Using the air fryer takes about 18-23 minutes. It depends on how long you pressed the tofu and how crispy you like it.
Air Fryer Tofu Without Cornstarch
While this recipe does call for cornstarch, it is possible to make it without using any cornstarch. You can sub in potato starch or potato starch or leave it out entirely.
To make your air fried tofu without cornstarch, follow the steps in the printable recipe card below, but eliminate step 2. To get your tofu crispy without the cornstarch, you may need to cook it for an additional 1-5 minutes.
How to Store Leftover Air Fried Tofu
Allow any leftover crispy tofu to fully cool and then store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To reheat, pop the tofu back into the air fryer and cook it at 360F for 3 minutes.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- You can fry the tofu without the cornstarch but it does help give that extra crisp and crunchy coating we all love.
- Corn allergy? Try arrowroot powder or potato starch.
- Toss the finished crispy air fryer tofu with your favorite sauce.
- If you need a gluten-free version, use coconut aminos instead of soy sausce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Using an air fryer is definitely the healthiest way to fry tofu. Unlike tofu deep-fried in oil, the air fryer gives you a wonderfully crispy texture with 1 tsp of olive oil.
Everyone loves crispy tofu and extra crispy is even better! You can increase the amount of cornstarch used prior to cooking, or do a double-breading technique.
To double-bread the tofu, toss the cubes with cornstarch, then olive oil, and then sprinkle another 1-2 tsp of cornstarch over the cubes.
Yes, absolutely! Season the tofu cubes to your preference. Use it as the base for your favorite sauces or flavoring.
Try the vegan orange sauce from our Air Fryer Orange Chicken, Gluten-Free Teriyaki Sauce, or your favorite bottled sauce with this air fryer tofu recipe.
You can also use the flavoring from this Buffalo Tofu or Crispy Salt and Pepper Tofu.
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS
One serving of tofu in the air fryer has 1 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Air Fryer Tofu Recipe
- Cut pressed tofu slices into cubes and put into a medium bowl.1 lb extra firm tofu
- Sprinkle cornstarch over the top and gently toss to coat.1 tbsp cornstarch
- Toss to coat the tofu with soy sauce, sesame oil, and (optional) olive oil.1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil, 2 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp olive oil
- Lightly brush the air fryer basket with olive oil and then add the tofu.
- Cook at 390 degrees F, checking and shaking the basket every 9 minutes.
- The tofu will be done when it has reached your desired level of crispiness (~18-23 minutes).
- Toss finished tofu with your favorite sauce.sesame seeds
Heat a large skillet and add a high-heat oil like coconut. Add half of the tofu to the skillet, and turn to coat, allowing it to crisp up. Transfer to a plate lined with a few paper towels. Then repeat with the rest of the tofu.