Crispy and easy Air Fryer Tofu is a speedy weeknight dinner. Packed with flavor this crispy fried tofu is the most delicious vegan or vegetarian recipe you can make in under 30 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
For many people, tofu is a non-starter. I get it. Everyone has different tastes and some just haven’t tried tofu in the right way. Yet. Because this is the recipe that will convert the tofu haters.
Don’t let the “air fryer” part of the recipe title scare you away. You can totally make it old school – in a skillet or in the oven. You’ll get a similar crunch, but it will take more work and definitely more oil.
Need something delicious to serve with this air fryer tofu? How about whipping up a batch of Instant Pot Basmati Rice, Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice, Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli, Instant Pot Brown Jasmine Rice, Instant Pot Sushi Rice, Green Beans in Tomato Sauce, Instant Pot Coconut Rice, Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Rice, Air Fryer Potstickers, Instant Pot Jasmine Rice, Kale Chopped Salad, or Air Fryer Egg Rolls?
How to Press Tofu
I purchase “high protein” tofu that isn’t packed in a lot of water. When using it, I don’t actually press the tofu before air frying it. But if you have some packed in water, follow along to learn how to press it.
They do sell actual presses for this, but I find the combo of plate + two clean kitchen towels and a heavy casserole dish (I used my dutch oven) works great and it’s free!
Drain the water from the tofu, and slice each of the tofu bricks into 6 slices.
Line a plate with a dishtowel. Place the slices on the towel. Top with another towel and place another towel over that and place something heavy on the top to help press the water from the tofu. Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
How Long Does it Take to Fry Tofu?
Using the air fryer takes about 18-23 minutes. It depends on how long you pressed the tofu and how crispy you like it.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- You can fry without the cornstarch but it does help give that extra crisp and crunchy coating we all love.
- Corn allergy? Try arrowroot powder or potato starch.
- Toss finished tofu with your favorite sauce. Try the (vegan) sauce from our Instant Pot Orange Chicken drizzled over the tofu. It’s SOOO good. Or use this Gluten-Free Teriyaki Sauce for a great flavor.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes Like This:
- Air Fryer Green Bean Fries
- Crispy Fried Onions
- Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Green Tomatoes
- Air Fryer Fried Okra
- Fried Artichoke Hearts
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Easy Air Fryer Pickles
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS
One serving has 1 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Air Fryer Tofu
- Cut pressed tofu slices into cubes and put into a medium bowl. Toss to coat the tofu with soy sauce and sesame oil.1 lb extra firm tofu, 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil, 2 tsp soy sauce
- Sprinkle cornstarch over the top and gently toss to coat.1 tbsp cornstarch
- Lightly spray the top of the tofu with olive oil spray (optional).1/4 tsp olive oil
- Lightly brush the air fryer basket with olive oil and then add the tofu.
- Cook at 390 degrees F, checking and shaking the basket every 9 minutes.
- The tofu will be done when it has reached your desired level of crispiness (~18-23 minutes).
- Toss finished tofu with your favorite sauce.sesame seeds
Heat a large skillet and add a high-heat oil like coconut. Add half of the tofu to the skillet, and turn to coat, allowing it to crisp up. Transfer to a plate lined with a few paper towels. Then repeat with the rest of the tofu.