Instant Pot Asparagus Risotto
This delicious Instant Pot Asparagus Risotto is a simple weeknight dinner that is packed with amazing flavor. Ready in a flash, this pressure cooker risotto eliminates the long cook time and constant stirring of a stovetop version.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Instant Pot Asparagus Risotto is a dish that dreams are made of. It’s creamy, perfectly cooked, flavorful, and oh so quick to make. Meet your new favorite recipe!
What Goes With Asparagus Risotto?
We love to serve ours with grilled chicken or alongside a dry brine roasted chicken.
A friend who tested this recipe for us wanted to make it a one-pot dish. She added in chopped uncooked chicken breasts and sauteed them with the onions and garlic and 2 extra tablespoons of butter. The cooking time remained the same.
If you prefer your asparagus to be crispy, make air fryer asparagus and serve it on top of the finished risotto.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- This can easily be made vegetarian by subbing in vegetable stock for the chicken stock. To make it vegan/dairy-free, use your favorite plant-based butter and leave out the parmesan cheese.
- A small number of recipe testers did note a burn notice at step 8 with newer select Instant Pot models. However, they found that once they canceled the cooking process and opened the lid, the asparagus was already perfectly cooked.
- An Instant Pot Duo user noted she was unable to do a “0 minute” cook time. She set her pot to 1 minute and as soon as it came to pressure she hit “cancel”. The asparagus came out perfectly using that method.
- If you are not adding asparagus, cook all ingredients other than the cheese for 6 minutes at manual high pressure. Allow for a 2-minute natural release and then perform a quick release. Stir in parmesan and serve.
- If you double the recipe the cooking time will remain the same, but it may take longer to come to pressure.
More Delicious Weeknight Dinners You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Ravioli
- Creamy Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
- Fried Gnocchi and Veggies
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Whole30 Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy
- Air Fryer Meatballs
- Pizza Crepes
- Air Fryer Quesadillas
Instant Pot Asparagus Risotto
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté. Melt butter and sauté the garlic and onion until softened (~2 min).
- Add 1/4 cup white wine, 2 cup chicken stock (reserving 1/2 cup for later).
- Scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot and then add 1 cup rice,1/4 tsp kosher salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1.5 tbsp lemon zest.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the vent to sealing. Press Manual>High>5 minutes.
- Allow for a natural release for 2 minutes and then perform a quick release to remove additional pressure.
- When the vent has dropped, carefully open the lid. There will still be liquid not absorbed.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock and stir well, lifting the rice from the bottom to make sure the stock makes contact with the bottom of the insert. The risotto will look soupy at this point.
- Add the asparagus on top of the rice without stirring. Put the lid back on, flip the vent to sealing, and press manual, high pressure, and toggle down to 0 min cook time.
- When the Instant Pot has finished the 0-minute process, flip the vent and do a quick release.
- Carefully open the lid, stir in the Parmesan cheese.