This delicious Instant Pot Asparagus Risotto is a simple weeknight dinner that is packed with amazing flavor. Ready in a flash, this pressure cooker risotto eliminates the long cook time and constant stirring of a stovetop version.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Instant Pot Asparagus Risotto is a dish that dreams are made of. It’s creamy, perfectly cooked, flavorful, and oh so quick to make. Meet your new favorite recipe!
Want to save time on this recipe? Use prepped frozen garlic and frozen onions to make this a meal prep dream dish. And if you are looking for more of a one-pan complete dinner dish, try our Chicken and Bacon Risotto.
If you have leftovers, check out our post on Freezing Risotto.
What Goes With Asparagus Risotto?
If you prefer your asparagus to be crispy, make air fryer asparagus and serve it on top of the finished risotto.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- This can easily be made vegetarian by subbing in vegetable stock for the chicken stock. To make it vegan/dairy-free, use your favorite plant-based butter and leave out the parmesan cheese.
- A small number of recipe testers did note a burn notice at step 8 with newer select Instant Pot models. However, they found that once they canceled the cooking process and opened the lid, the asparagus was already perfectly cooked.
- An Instant Pot Duo user noted she was unable to do a “0 minute” cook time. She set her pot to 1 minute and as soon as it came to pressure she hit “cancel”. The asparagus came out perfectly using that method.
- If you are not adding asparagus, cook all ingredients other than the cheese for 6 minutes at manual high pressure. Allow for a 2-minute natural release and then perform a quick release. Stir in parmesan and serve.
- If you double the recipe the cooking time will remain the same, but it may take longer to come to pressure.
More Delicious Weeknight Dinners You’ll Love
Instant Pot Asparagus Risotto
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté. Melt butter and sauté the garlic and onion until softened (~2 min).3 tbsp unsalted butter, 3 cloves garlic, 1/3 cup white onion
- Add white wine, 2 cup chicken stock (reserving 1/2 cup for later).1/4 cup white wine, 2.5 cups chicken stock
- Scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot and then add rice, kosher salt, black pepper, and lemon zest.1 cup arborio rice, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, 1.5 tbsp lemon zest
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the vent to sealing. Press Manual>High>5 minutes.
- Allow for a natural release for 2 minutes and then perform a quick release to remove additional pressure.
- When the vent has dropped, carefully open the lid. There will still be liquid not absorbed.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock and stir well, lifting the rice from the bottom to make sure the stock makes contact with the bottom of the insert. The risotto will look soupy at this point.
- Add the asparagus on top of the rice without stirring. Put the lid back on, flip the vent to sealing, and press manual, high pressure, and toggle down to 0 min cook time.16 oz asparagus
- When the Instant Pot has finished the 0-minute process, flip the vent and do a quick release.
- Carefully open the lid, stir in the Parmesan cheese.1/2 cup shredded Parmesan