Simple Shepherds Pie With Turkey (Whole30, GF, DF)
A revamped and healthier version of a classic comfort food – Simple Shepherds Pie With Turkey is a delicious and hearty recipe. Perfect for Thanksgiving leftovers, this shepherd’s pie is Whole30 compliant, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Without a doubt, anytime I serve shepherd’s pie my husband Troy will say “made with 100% real shepherd”. Every.Single. Time.
He’s taken, ladies.
I’ll admit to not being the biggest fan of shepherd’s pie. I’m generally not super into that is heavily “meat-based”, and I can’t stand gravy. But, by using leftover turkey (post-Thanksgiving hollah) and totally ramping up the veg factor, this simple shepherd’s pie meets my very high standards.
Oh, and while I was at it, I went and made it dairy-free, gluten-free, and Whole30 compliant. So you know, happiness in a cast iron skillet.
If you love fast weeknight dinners, check out these Greek Turkey Meatballs. These gluten-free meatballs cook up in a flash and make an amazing freezer meal.
Need help getting started off with your Whole30 round on the right foot? Download my totally free Trader Joe’s Whole30 Shopping List and Whole30 Costco Shopping List. I have done all the work for you with checking ingredients and figuring out safe foods. Happy shopping?
What is Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s pie, also known as cottage pie is a meat pie topped with mashed potatoes. In some cases, there may be a crust in place of the mashed potatoes.
But don’t worry because nary a shepherd has been harmed in the making of this dish.
What is in Shepherd’s Pie?
Traditionally you’ll find ground (also referred to as minced) beef or lamb in shepherd’s pie. Add in a mix of chopped veggies and gravy (firm nope from me) and then top it all with mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese.
This version of a simple shepherd’s pie with turkey has:
- turkey (obvs)
- frozen peas
- frozen green beans
- mashed potatoes (try Whole30 Mashed Potatoes or Make Ahead Easy Mashed Potatoes)
- and a sauce made from tomato paste, ghee (butter or olive oil), coconut aminos (to make it GF), dried thyme, and nutritional yeast.
Where Do You Get Affordable Organic Free-Range Turkey?
I’m blessed that we have a local butcher for buying organic meat, but we also have a monthly Butcher Box subscription. Butcher Box sources only organic and free-range meat for their customers and ships them to your home once a month.
The meat is super high-quality and we’ve always had an amazing selection sent each month. In addition to what they pick for you, you’re able to add specific cuts and types of meat to your box. And yes, they have Whole30 compliant bacon!
Even with our local source, we still look forward to our monthly Butcher Box delivery.
Is This Whole30 Compliant? Paleo?
Yes, except for the peas. Double the green beans and you are good to go! Everything else has been adapted to be totally Whole30 compliant.
If you want to make this paleo, leave out the peas and sub in sweet potatoes for regular mashed spuds.
If you’re not Whole30/Paleo You Can:
- Use cornstarch instead of arrowroot powder
- Use soy sauce instead of coconut aminos
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top of the mashed potatoes (I’d recommend a delicious extra sharp cheddar!)
- Nutritional yeast isn’t mandatory but gives the dish an extra special hint of umami.
How Do You Make Simple Shepherd’s Pie?
*Detailed and printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the ghee (or butter/olive oil) and onions. Add the arrowroot and stir to combine with the onion and ghee. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and stir.
Pro tip: use a cast iron skillet for easy cleanup. New to cast iron? Check out this post on seasoning, using, and caring for cast iron cookware.
Add the tomato paste, garlic, coconut aminos, nutritional yeast, and thyme. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a soft boil. Cook, stirring often for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
Add the veggies and then the turkey. Stir to combine. Top with mashed potatoes.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- Using frozen veggies makes this dish even easier to throw together for a weeknight or simple dinner.
- Feel free to use whatever veggies you prefer. Add some mushrooms (gross) or whatever else you have on hand.
- If you have leftover gravy feel free to sub it in for the seasonings called for in this recipe. Keep the thyme though!
- No leftover mashed potatoes? Make your own by trying one of these recipes Whole30 Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes or Make Ahead Easy Mashed Potatoes.
- Cooked chicken would work great for this recipe as well. Shred a whole chicken (related: How to Make a Perfect Roasted Chicken Every Time) or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
Useful Tools for Simple Shepherd’s Pie
- I adore my cast iron skillets, and I used a 12-inch one for this recipe because you can take it from stovetop to the oven.
- This glass mixing bowl/measuring cup gets used daily in my kitchen because it is so freaking handy!
- The Instant Pot made the mashed potatoes for this simple shepherd’s pie.
- Coconut aminos, nutritional yeast, and arrowroot are all ingredients that can be hard to find in my small town. Thankfully they’re available online.
More Recipes Like This
- Leftover Turkey Casserole With Rice
- Crispy Oven-Fried Gnocchi and Veggies
- Baked Chicken Teriyaki Dinner
- Healthy Sausage and Roasted Vegetables
Simple Shepherds Pie WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS
One serving of Simple Shepherds Pie has 2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Simple Shepherds Pie With Turkey (Whole30, GF, DF)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat an oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add the ghee (or butter/olive oil) and onions. Cook down for five minutes.
- Add the arrowroot and stir to combine with the onion and ghee. Cook, stirring often for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and stir. Add the tomato paste, garlic, coconut aminos, nutritional yeast, and thyme. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a soft boil. Cook, stirring often for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Add the veggies and then the turkey. Stir to combine. Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.