This Spicy Butternut Squash Soup is packed with flavor and sure to become a family favorite! A comforting and healthy butternut squash soup that can be made in under 30 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a rich dairy-free butternut squash soup that has smoky, incredible flavors that make you want to light a fire in the woodstove, put on some wool socks, and binge-watch three seasons of Law and Order.
When it comes to this soup, I’m not messing around. I like soups to taste like they cooked all day, but actually, they’re ready in under 25 minutes. If you like fast soups (of course you do), you’ll flip also over homemade Ramen Noodle Bowls and Gluten-Free Tomato Soup.
To make this soup a weeknight possibility, I used organic frozen and cubed butternut squash. No, that’s not lazy, it’s efficient. In a pinch, you can also use frozen pumpkin.
What Goes Well With Butternut Squash Soup?
Um, everything! I love it with a great side salad, or roasted vegetables (check out how to roast frozen vegetables).
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- Use 1 tsp dried sage in place of the fresh.
- Don’t like spice? Leave the cayenne pepper out of the main batch, and season each bowl to taste.
- Store in the fridge for up to four days, or in the freezer for 3-6 months.
- Double the beans for even more protein and texture.
- This healthy butternut squash soup could easily be made paleo or Whole30 by leaving the beans out.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Vegetarian Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Paleo French Onion Soup
- Instant Pot Tortilla Soup With Rice
- Whole30 Potato Soup
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 lbs butternut squash (~8 cups once peeled and cubed)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups kale (chopped or cut into ribbons)
- 1 tbsp sage (fresh) (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 14 oz can cannellini beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, combine olive oil, diced onions, butternut squash, and minced garlic over medium heat. Saute for a few minutes until the squash has softened.
- Add the broth and cook until the ingredients are tender (about 5 minutes). Blend everything using an immersion blender.
- Add the kale, sage, and beans. Season to taste with the cayenne, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes before serving.