These ooey gooey Air Fryer Cheese Curds are so deliciously crispy. They use a baked breading method and are not deep-fried. No air fryer? You’ll also find stovetop methods in the post.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
While cheese is delicious as-is, fried cheese is next-level amazing. And now you can make cheese curds in the air fryer with just 2 tsp of olive oil. That’s right; no deep-frying!
This recipe uses my favorite air frying breading method that we also use in our Air Fryer Fried Pickles, Air Fryer Zucchini Chips, Air Fryer Green Tomatoes, and Air Fryer Ravioli. It gives you an amazing crispy coating without needing a bucket of oil.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
No recipe has confounded me as much as creating this one. I could not keep the darn cheese from melting while it cooked. The melted curds taunted me.
I made it eight times over 10 months before I finally cracked the code. If you make any adjustments or substitutions, I cannot guarantee success! Please read the recipe carefully and follow all the steps.
- For best results, freeze cheese curds before and after breading.
- Work in batches of 4-6 cheese curds at a time.
- Do not preheat the air fryer.
- If you’re making multiple batches, allow the air fryer to cool a bit between batches, or check on them at 3 minutes of cooking time.
Air Fryer Cheese Curds
- Place cheese curds on a plate and freeze for 30-60 minutes.12 oz cheese curds
- In one bowl combine flour and cornstarch.1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp cornstarch
- In another bowl combine kosher salt, panko, breadcrumbs, and Italian seasoning.1/4 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 cup panko, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 3 tsp Italian seasoning
- In another bowl, beat eggs until well combined.2 eggs
- Set up an empty plate lined with parchment.
- It's easiest to work in batches of 4-6. With your left hand, dredge 4-6 curds through the flour/cornstarch and shake the excess off.
- With your left hand, drop them into the egg mixture. Using your right hand, stir to coat them completely with egg.
- Use your right hand and drop them into the breadcrumb bowl, tossing to fully coat with the mixture. Place your breaded curds onto the plate.
- Freeze for 30-60 minutes.
- Spray the cold curds with olive oil spray while they're still on the plate. Really coat them well and then let them sit 2-3 minutes.2 tsp olive oil
- Do NOT preheat the air fryer.
- Brush the basket of the air fryer with olive oil or use a piece of air fryer parchment, and gently place the curds in the basket.
- Cook at 400F for 4 minutes. You do not need to flip them.