Crispy, crunchy, and delicious, these Air Fryer Green Tomatoes will be a huge hit! Perfect as a fast appetizer or a side dish, healthy fried green tomatoes are sure to become a family favorite.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These fried green tomatoes are a healthier take on the deep-fried classic. Using just a little olive oil, the air fryer gives this dish a crispy breading with perfectly cooked tomatoes on the inside.
So hit up the garden or farmer’s market, grab some unripe tomatoes and let’s make something amazing!
No air fryer? Check out the recipe notes for baking instructions. Let’s do this!
Air Fryer Green Tomato Ingredients
The dip shown in these photos is Sweet Potato Fries Dipping Sauce with some Tony’s mixed in for a kick.
PRO TIPS/RECIPE NOTES
- If you are unable to find Tony’s seasoning, you can sub in Old Bay.
- After spraying the olive oil on the breading, allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes. This will allow the panko to soak up the oil, creating the crunchiest coating ever.
- If you use sodium-free seasoning, salt the breading to taste if desired.
- To get the most consistent slices, use a serrated bread knife. Aim for slices ~ 1/3 inch thick.
- You can use buttermilk in place of the egg. Related: Can You Freeze Buttermilk
- To make these air fryer green tomatoes gluten-free or low carb, replace all the flour/bread crumbs with almond flour.
Air Fryer Green Tomatoes
- Slice tomatoes about 1/3 inch thick.3 green tomatoes
- In one bowl add flour, in another combine cornmeal, panko, and Tony's. In a third bowl combine beaten egg and water. Set up an empty plate.1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 egg, 2 tsp water, 1/4 cup cornmeal, 1.5 tsp Tony's Chachere's, 1/4 cup panko
- It's easiest to work in batches of 2. With your left hand, dredge 2 tomatoes through the flour and shake the excess off.
- With your left hand, drop them into the egg mixture, stirring to coat.
- Use your right hand and drop them into the cornmeal bowl and toss to coat. Place your breaded tomatoes onto a plate. Repeat.
- Once you've finished breading all of them, spray the tops of the tomatoes with olive oil spray while they're still on the plate. Really coat them and then let them sit 2-3 minutes.1 tbsp olive oil
- Spray the basket of the air fryer with olive oil and gently place the breaded tomatoes in the basket. Don't overcrowd the basket.
- Cook for 6 minutes at 390 degrees F. Flip (easiest to use the tines of a fork). Spray the tops with additional olive oil spray if they need it.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes and then serve with your favorite dipping sauce.