Peanut Butter Frosting With PB2
Creamy and luscious peanut butter frosting with PB2. Amazingly delicious fluffy peanut butter frosting with only a few simple ingredients.
When your pregnant cousin asks for chocolate cupcakes for her baby shower, you give the pregnant lady her chocolate cupcakes! But when she says she doesn’t want chocolate frosting, you start thinking about alternatives. I asked our Facebook community for suggestions and they came through with a bunch! But then I came across a jar of PB2 in my pantry and my brain got to thinking. It caused a burning rubber smell.
We bought the PB2 back when my mom was on a liquid diet. It seemed like a good way to add some protein and flavor and it made us feel like rebels to kinda bypass the “rules” and sneak peanut butter into her food.
What is PB2?
PB2 is powdered peanut butter that has 85% fewer calories than traditional peanut butter. People add it to smoothies, desserts, and mix it with water to make peanut butter. You can buy it on Amazon, but I have found it for much cheaper at my local grocery store.
The idea of taking something with fewer calories and then mixing it with butter, cream cheese, and sugar just appealed to me in a very sick way. The day of the baby shower I decided to “wing” the recipe with the idea that it is pretty hard to screw up frosting too badly.
It turned out my hunch was correct because the frosting was absolutely delicious. Many traditional peanut butter frostings are heavy from the oil in the peanut butter. Given that this was powdered peanut butter, the frosting it produced was light, fluffy, and full of flavor. It was sweet, but not too sweet.
For those of you who need exact measurements every step of the way, well I’m sorry. This recipe for peanut butter frosting may give you a little boob sweat. You’ll see in the recipe notes that I encourage you to taste as you go and use your own preferences to determine the finished product. Maybe you don’t like overly sweet frosting. Well, guess what? You don’t have to have overly sweet frosting. You’re in the driver’s seat with this! Trust your instinct and your taste buds and you’re going to be a frosting boss.
Helpful Peanut Butter Frosting Supply List
- Homemade Vanilla Extract, use it if you got it!
- PB2 <–Amazon, or check for it locally
- Homemade Powdered Sugar
- Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer
And if I were someone who could actually pipe frosting onto a cupcake, this peanut butter frosting would have been perfect for it. Instead, my cupcakes always tend to look like I applied frosting while sneezing. And being attacked by bees. And that’s ok too. You can’t eat a cupcake with your eyes you know.
That my friends is just biology.
Peanut Butter Frosting With PB2
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine softened cream cheese and butter on medium, increasing to high speed. Beat until fluffy.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the vanilla. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the powdered sugar, pausing occasionally to scrape down the sides and taste. The recipe states 2 cups of powdered sugar, but frosting sweetness is so personal - you may need less or you may prefer more.
- Once it has reached the sweetness you desire, slowly add the PB2, tasting as you go. After the taste of it makes you want to hug a puppy, you'll know it is ready. Crank the mixer up to high and beat until it is light and fluffy.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links but is not sponsored by PB2. I just like talking about products that work for me!