Learn the secrets to making the best Crispy Baked Potatoes in the oven! An easy make-ahead dinner, these healthy baked potatoes are the perfect comfort food.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crispy on the outside and soft and flavorful on the inside, these oven-baked potatoes will convince you to make a potato bar part of your weekly dinner rotation. These are SO easy and taste incredible.
Are Baked Potatoes Better in Foil?
In a word – NOOOOOOO. The foil will steam the potato and cook it through, but it also prevents that crispy skin everyone loves so much! Ditch the foil wrapping and use this baking method instead.
- This process also works amazingly well with sweet potatoes, but the baking time usually needs to be increased by 10 minutes. Related: Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes.
- Feel free to experiment with flavors and seasonings. I love cracked lemon pepper and chopped rosemary mixed in with the olive oil.
- Want a cheesy appetizer version? Try these Loaded Air Fryer Potato Skins.
- Prefer a diced version? Check out our Air Fryer Potatoes.
- Shred them and use them in Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- The dripping olive oil on the foil/baking sheet will smell “hot” in your kitchen, and there may be some sizzling. That is all perfectly normal.
- The kosher salt flavors the potato while baking and helps create the crispiest skin ever! But please brush all the excess salt off of the potato prior to serving.
- Make these healthy baked potatoes an easy weeknight meal by baking them during your weekly meal prep. Store in an air-tight lidded container in the fridge, and microwave for 60 seconds to reheat.
MORE TASTY WEEKNIGHT DINNERS YOU’LL LOVE
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS
One serving has 1 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Crispy Baked Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Scrub the outside of potatoes, and dry off with a clean kitchen towel.
- Poke 7-10 holes in the skin of the potato with a fork.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add olive oil, salt, and minced garlic.
- Put two potatoes in the bowl and swirl it around until the entire potato is covered in the oil/salt/garlic mixture. Move to a plate. Repeat with the other potatoes.
- Put a piece of foil or a baking sheeting on the bottom rack of oven. Place the potatoes directly on the rack above the foil/baking sheet.
- Bake for 60-90 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes. The potatoes are ready when a sharp knife pierces easily into the skin.