Crispy and perfectly seasoned, you’ll love these Turnip Fries! There is so much flavor in these low-carb turnip chips, that even picky family members will ask for seconds.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Do Turnips Taste Like?
If a carrot, a potato, and a radish had a really wild night and produced a tasty root vegetable offspring, it would be a turnip. They’re a little bit bland, with a tiny bit of spice (like a radish), and roasting brings out the natural sweetness that is masked if eaten raw.
When buying, you’ll want to choose smaller turnips over larger ones. Larger turnips tend to be a bit tougher and less sweet than their smaller counterparts.
Sprinkle finished fries with kosher salt and if you’re smart and love yourself, dip them in Chipotle Sauce or Sweet Potato Fries Dipping Sauce. For a zesty and dairy-free sauce, try Cilantro Chimichurri.
If you’re in the mood for something a little spicy, combine the awesomeness of Buffalo Chicken Fries but use these turnip chips as the base.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- To make homemade veggie fries crispier, a nice powdery coating of cornstarch or arrowroot powder works wonders. You can also sub in potato starch if needed.
- Do your best to cut the turnips into uniform sizes. This will result in even roasting. The smaller the fries, the faster they’ll cook.
- If your turnip fries aren’t crisping up, chances are your baking sheet is too crowded. Transfer half the fries to another baking sheet and pop back in the oven for about 5 minutes.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES LIKE THIS
- Roasted Frozen Broccoli
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Crispy Butternut Squash
- Roasted Frozen Cauliflower
- Pesto Chicken and Cauliflower
- Roasted Frozen Brussel Sprouts
- Baked Cauliflower Patties
- How to Cook Frozen Asparagus
- Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- Crispy Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Roasted Garlic recipe
- Quick Pickled Cauliflower
- Easy Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
- Gluten-Free Fried Onions
Crispy Turnip Fries WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS
One serving has 3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Crispy Turnip Fries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place the baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- Cut off the top and bottom of the turnip and peel the tough outer skin.2 turnips
- Cut turnips into matchsticks.
- Add the turnips, arrowroot powder, and dried herbs and seasoning to a mixing bowl and toss until all the turnips are coated.2 turnips, 1 tbsp arrowroot powder, 1/2 tsp dried parsley, 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Drizzle in the avocado oil and stir to make sure everything is coated.2 tbsp avocado oil
- Add turnips to the (preheated) baking sheet, making sure the turnips are not touching each other. If using fresh herbs add to the pan.2 sprigs fresh rosemary, 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Bake for 15 minutes and then stir. Bake until the fries have reached your desired level of crispiness (about 5-10 more minutes).
- Sprinkle finished fries with a pinch of kosher salt and serve1 tsp kosher salt